Friday 12 January 2007

Restless-Fearful Waiting

The tickets were booked in June 2006. The Cuban map is hanging at the office door. Three Lonely-Planet-type books on Cuba and tango dancing in Buenos Aires have been moved around the apartment for months now; without too much reading done... It's less than a week to go, my English 'play mate' got his visa just in time - and is X-ited! To make my tango adventure a perfect one, I got a 2 1/2 hours survival kit of beta on Buenos Aires of my local profesores de tango L&L - with all the do's and don't's in the European Capital of Latin America. I even found a foster home for my six beloved koi and their bad black manta friend. The technical equipment to make this trip unforgetable and shareable with the 'left-behinds' is in place, too.
So I guess, I should feel content. But...

... at the moment - it's like being in No-Man's Land. You've basically left mentally already - only the body isn't allowed to follow just yet. Additionally there are the little things still to be done before departure - or worse - the fear of the big things waiting for you when you get back. Not to mention the latent thoughts like: "I must have forgotten something...!???" or "Does everything fit into the bag, without exceeding the lousy 20k-weight limit?".

Waiting for the plane to leave is a restless-fearful period! I feel like a prenatal tourist in the 39th week - when the belly is getting really tight, and you're uncertain if the doctor is going to be a he or a she...

Oh boy, if I only could switch places with you now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hei Matzomoto...

I am packed and ready to venture into the unknown too!! The open road and the open car is calling me...haha, I can see the mojitos now, senior!!